First up, I bought a packet of the mixed Kit Kats meant for Oshogatsu. As part of the Oshogatsu (New Year) celebration, Japanese eat red and white mochi. Hence, for the Oshogatsu Kit Kats, we have white chocolate Kit Kats, as well as the regular ones. What I found really interesting was the message box at the back of the Kit Kat wrappers. You are supposed to write your wishes in the box before you ate them and at the current moment, Kit Kats are really popular amongst students. "Kit Kat" sounds like "Kitto Katsu"/ きっと勝つ (which translates into "you'll surely win or in broken English "win without fail"). According to my JTE, another popular snack is this Pocky-like biscuit sticks named "Toppo" aka "Top the class/exam". Gave all of my 3rd graders one of these Kit Kats and got them to do a wish board ;). Going to take a pic of it soon!
Second, I came across these "Mixed Juice" Kit Kat while shopping at Supercenter. Was a little apprehensive about this flavour but they tasted surprisingly good. The chocolate had a fruity smell which was really pleasant and it wasn't too sweet. They came in a cheerful orange colour too :). Handed some out to my teachers and they fell in love with this flavour too.
Next, I bought these "Annin Dofu" aka Almond Tofu (one of my favourite chinese desserts) flavoured Kit Kats in Yokohama. Apparently you can only get these from Yokohama because Almond Tofu is a Chinese thingy and Yokohama has the largest Chinatown in the whole of Japan. I was pretty surprised to find out that Almond Tofu and Mango pudding are really popular sweets in Japan. I still prefer the Hong Kong dim sum ones I get back home but the ones sold in the supermarkets are rather decent too. As for the Kit Kat, I didn't really enjoy them. They taste ok but not great. Eating almond-flavoured chocolate is not my thing >.<
I managed to buy miso, roasted tea and wasabi flavors!
ReplyDelete